- Who We Are
- Recent Work
- Issue Areas
- Client News
- Contact Us
Strengthening Teaching and Leadership
For schools to achieve the results the public wants, we need to make the teaching profession more attractive to top talent, and to better develop and retain the talent that comes into the field. We also need to create leaders who are strategic thinkers who can help teachers transform students into effective learners. To this end, CommunicationWorks has:
- Boosted visibility and advanced policy change on behalf of scores of organizations focused on improving teacher quality and professionalizing teaching.
- Spearheaded a broad suite of communications activities for a major foundation that supports leadership improvements.
- Garnered media and leadership attention to landmark research linking leadership with student achievement, placing innovative leadership ideas and solutions at the forefront of policy discussions.
- Created teacher recruitment campaigns to find career changers and other new talent in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics fields.
- Written and released crucial reports on the quality of teacher education, how to transform accreditation, and the status of professional learning for educators in the United States.
- Innovated strategies for districts and unions to work together to develop and institute pay-for-performance plans.
- Coordinated coalitions of leadership organizations and promoted innovative programs to revolutionize leadership preparation and ongoing professional growth.
Learning Forward’s purpose is ensuring that every educator engages in effective professional learning every day so every student achieves. Learning Forward is an international association of learning educators focused on increasing student achievement through more effective professional development.
Children’s Literacy Initiative (CLI) is a national nonprofit that provides professional development services to pre-kindergarten through third grade teachers. In partnership with schools and districts, CLI Model Classrooms™ build on the strengths of teachers by providing them with the training, coaching and resources needed to deliver expert literacy instruction through a sustainable model of professional learning. CLI was awarded an Investing in Innovation (i3) grant by the U.S. Department of Education in 2010.
MetLife is a leading global provider of insurance, annuities and employee benefit programs, serving 90 million customers in more than 60 countries, with leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia Pacific, and Europe. MetLife Foundation places strong emphasis on education and draws on the findings of the annual MetLife Survey of the American Teacher to inform its grantmaking.
The Woodrow Wilson Teaching Fellowships are designed to recruit, prepare and retain effective teachers for the students and schools who need them most. Fellows receive $30,000 stipends and attend enriched, specially selected master’s-level teacher education programs, complemented by intensive mentoring during the first three years of teaching at high-need urban and rural schools. The Fellowships have four goals: transforming teacher education; getting strong teachers into high-need schools; attracting the very best candidates to the teaching profession; and cutting teacher attrition by retaining top teachers.
The National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) accredits 667 schools, colleges and departments of education, which produce two-thirds of the nation’s new teacher graduates annually in the United States, and is recognized as a specialized accrediting body by the U.S. Department of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.
Have You Heard?
"(O)utreach coordinated by the firm has helped to engage the key stakeholders involved in shaping... education policy and practice..."
Vice President and Director of Entertainment Media Partnerships
The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation